Monday, September 15, 2014

Vogue 1208

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this one.  Please help me out and tell me how I feel.  I made Vogue Patterns 1208, a Tom and Linda Platt design.
How gorgeous is that red dress??  Simple bias cut with a cute little bow detail.  Love it!

Here's mine:

Enh.  Meh.  Not what I envisioned on me.  The fabric is a lightweight tropical wool, so light enough for the style. The model's sleeve side seems to drape more, so maybe I should have cut it bigger in the shoulders.?  I don't know.  I made it hoping it would be good for singing at funerals.  I think it will be fine for that, but it doesn't get me really excited for much else.



I think it highlights my rectangular-ness.  
 I added the belt because here it is without.  It looks a lot better in the picture than I felt in real life.  I felt like a big bell.  Zero waist definition.  The bias-cut did not cling to the curves at all.  I guess this fabric wasn't the great match for the pattern I thought it would be.  The recommended fabrics are crepe back satin, silk dupioni, and jersey.
 Anyway, I don't know.  I'm not crazy in love with it.  I'll keep it in the closet for funereal duties, but I don't think it will come out for much else.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, yeah, eh. Did you notice the model's shoulder without the bow is lifted in the photo? I think that's what makes it drape nicely. So, if you just stand that way all the time...... :-)

    Can you take in the skirt sides a bit so it's more of a sheath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't need any more clothes that require me to stand a certain way all day! I tried taking in the side seams, but then the dress didn't hang right. I think I would need to add darts and a side zip, and that's not going to happen. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think it would drape better with softer fabric but nobody else will see the pattern envelope so they won't be able to compare it. Without comparing it, it looks fine. She's (the model) probably 10" taller. I wouldn't use dupioni (too stiff) but crepe or silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always have to remember the magic of the model. Haha. A silk would be nice. I'm a little tempted to try it again if I find some for the right price.

      Delete
  3. not sure if you got my comment or if it was eaten up by the internet?

    Anyway, I think the dress is lovely, especially the side view, which shows how slim you are. I prefer it without the belt. I think the belt leads to blousing above the waist, which does add to the rectangular look.

    I would wear it with a wide cuff and statement ear-rings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I prefer it unbelted in pictures also, actually, but in real life I thought the belt looked better. I think you're right with the accessories. They would really help.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenny,
    I think the dress looks good on you, but I can certainly relate to your feeling/expectations. Maybe after it's been in the closet for a while, it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I think it will probably be my "funeral dress" and just come out as a workhorse then.

      Delete
  5. I think this is a very chic dress. I also prefer it unbelted. You look a bit like the countess (?) of Monaco, not sure if she's known in the US. She's a former swimmer and gorgeous :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes we forget to take into account the model is probably 6' and a size 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I for one don't care much for the dress on the model. I think it looks to be made out of negligee weight silk something or other, and yes that's totally a technical term. I think that is e only way the dress will drape like that and not look like a sack. Does the line drawing have any waist shaping at all? Can you nip in the whole side seam a bit? It looks wide even under your arms but maybe it isn't. I also notice that in each of your pictures the neckline is pulling asymmetrically, almost like the bow is weighting that side and sliding toward your neck. It looks like nice fabric, which makes it doubly frustrating! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a tiny bit of waist shaping. I tried taking it in more at the side seams, but it didn't hang right. My only option would be darts, I think.

      Delete
  8. I actually prefer it with the belt, and I love the bow on the shoulder. I agree with everyone's comments that the model is probably 6'2" and size 2! I also agree that the red dress appears to be made of "negligee weight silk"! It looks good on you as is, and will definitely fit the bill for your singing duties!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)