Thursday, September 18, 2014

Simplicity 1696 - My New TNT Pants

I have a new TNT pants pattern - Simplicity 1696.  It's one of their "Amazing Fit" patterns, and it delivered for me.  You definitely need to follow the pattern instructions (not go on auto-pilot, like I usually do) since there are some changes in the seam allowances and order of construction to make them easier to alter as you go along.

 I widened the legs a bit and lengthened them to full length to make some dressier trousers, but now that I know how they fit, I plan to make some more versions - maybe some skinny cords and some crops.
 The only fit change I needed to make was to scoop out the crotch an additional 3/8" and then take in the inner leg seams 3/8" tapered to nothing at the knee.  I think the crotch fit is great on these.  What say you?
 The only real problem I have and am not sure how to fix is the front pockets sticking out a bit.  I can work on that on the next iteration, though.  I will also lower the waistband 1/2", just for personal preference.  No more faux-back welt pockets either.  I'm going for the real thing, even if I stitch them shut with no pocket bags.  They are too bulky made this way.
 This pattern offered straight, average, and curvy fits pieces.  I thought I'd be straight or average since I consider my shape to be pretty rectangular these days.  Imagine my surprise to find out I'm "curvy" all of a sudden.  Any thoughts on getting rid of the wrinkles in the back below?  I think I'm in danger of over-fitting soon.  These already fit better than many of my store-bought pants.
Edited 9/20 - I was so excited about the pattern that I didn't even mention the fabric!  It's a recent purchase from Penny Fabric, a great fabric store in Sarasota (no website, sorry).  It's a cotton woven jaquard, I think, with navy and white.  I should have gotten a closeup.  It's gorgeous!  I'm thinking of getting the same fabric in tan/white on my next trip (if it's still there).

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these pants on you!! They are on my list to sew for Fall, so I will keep all of your tips in mind. I think you achieved a really good fit, and can tweak some more on your next pair. I'm not sure how to get those wrinkles out of the back, but I am having some of the same wrinkles, so if you find out, I would love to know too!! What kind of fabric did you use? It is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! Someone on Pattern Review suggested I may have a forward-tilting pelvis, which sounds odd but makes sense. I think I'm just going to live with the wrinkles. If i make the legs tighter, I can fit them more, or if I make more of a trouser style, I can loosen them for less wrinkles. I think it's just due to the leg-width. I completely forgot about the fabric. I'll edit above. :-)

      Delete
  2. I can see why they call these TNT pants... because your butt looks DYNAMITE in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you on your new blog! I was wondering where you had disappeared to! These pants are great. LOVE your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm glad you found me! I've discovered it's harder than I thought it would be to get the word out that I moved. All I wanted was a new name since the blog is more about sewing than knitting. I guess I should have just changed the name and kept the url. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are cute! I'm going to see if this is the one I have. I love the fit and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you don't have it, you can get it for $1 if you wait for the sale at J's. Go for it. Its a great pants pattern.

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love!! The fit, the fabric...everything! I wonder if the $1 sale will be online as well?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just followed your link to the pattern, and there is a "printable" option. You get access to a printable version of the pattern for a year, and can print it up to 3 times. Has anyone used this before, and if so, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The $1 sales for Simplicity patterns is at JoAnn's stores from time to time. I don't think they offer that online, though. I've never bought a "Big 4" (big pattern companies) pattern for printing at home, but I've done it for other companies. They work fine, but you have to invest more time in prepping the pattern since you have to print it all and tape the sheets together. If you have a JoAnns you can go to, I'd definitely go that route. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! No JoAnn's over here...only Aloha Fabrics, where there is NEVER a sale and selection is ALWAYS limited! Of course, if you want Hawaiian print fabrics, it's THE place to go!

    Oh, well, less than a year remaining here...I'm sure I'll survive!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny,, these pants should be a TNT, they're gorgeous! When you walked into lunch today with them on, we all took notice! You definitely got a great fit and the fabric was a perfect selection! The only thing I can say is "You Go Girl"!!! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, I went on Sat. Oct. 4 and they were closed for a religious holiday. I was sad after a one hour drive from visiting my Mom. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a great pattern. I have another amazing fit pattern and the difference between the average/curvy etc is the rise of the back crotch. That is, the curvy refers to butt projection not hips. Try pinning a dart at hip level tapering to nothing at the sides and that should remove some/all of the wrinkles under the butt. You may find you are straight after all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)