Sunday, September 7, 2014

Princess Seam Border Print Dress - McCalls 5232

Sometimes, I think I have no idea what looks good on me...

I purchased this fabric from Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota.  It was love at first sight.  Nasir gave me a very generous 2 yards (more like 2.5), and I wanted to make the most of the yardage and the border print.  I decided to go with a classic princess seam style with a full skirt.  I found McCalls 5232 in my stash.  It is so long out of print that it's not on the McCalls website anymore, but here is the envelope pic:

After, I finished the dress, I was happy with it, but I feared it looked a little twee with the pink flowers and full skirt and all.  I wore a gray cardigan closed over top for church today, as shown below, and considered changing it into a skirt.
 However, after all of the compliments I received, both with and without the cardigan, I'm not changing it at all.
This dress was a hit with everyone from little girls to very mature ladies, little boys to gentlemen, not to mention my hubs.  I really don't generally get comments from anyone other than my husband and closest friends, so this was definitely a noticeable uptick.  My favorite comment was "you look like you stepped out of Roman Holiday."
 Well, I'm not shy.  I'll take the compliments and continue to wear this dress with and without sweaters over top.
If I make the pattern again, though, I'll make the top back a bit narrower and the bodice 1/2 inch shorter...

9 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny! No wonder you got all those compliments. You look pretty as apicture in this beautiful dress. I love everything about it. The retro look, the colour, the border print , all combine to make it work! Too bad summer is pretty much over but it will be nice to have it for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Luckily (for this dress, anyway), it is almost always "summer" here. I'll wear this dress from about March through October. :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree! This dress looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I agree, the dress is gorgeous, and you look fab! Totally gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Fabric thanks to Pennie's, my new Happiest Place on Earth!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! You really do look perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress on a beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just jacked off to the rear view pictye

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)