Sunday, September 21, 2014

McCalls 4440 in Denim

I've been enjoying my denim skirt so much that I wanted a denim dress, too.

I used McCalls 4440, which is super old and out of print.  I'm not sure how long ago the pattern was released, but I do know I used my copy to make this dress 6 years ago (which I still wear regularly, though I recently had to replace the fraying straps with ribbon).

(By the way, those photos of my now-7-year-old are KILLING me!!)

Ok.  On to the new dress.  I'm getting definite '90s vibes from this one, in a good way.  This is the exact same fabric I used for my recent A-line skirt.  It has just a tiny bit of stretch.
 I'm modeling the dress with a strapless bra here, but I've also worn it with a contrasting cami underneath for a little more comfy, casual vibe.  I really like the effect of the beige top-stitching.
 It's a bit rumpled from wearing.  I've been wearing it a lot.
 Getting the top-stitching to work with the zipper was a bit tricky, but I managed.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  This dress is unlined, and the inside is not pretty, though.  I like the breathability and ease of no lining in this dress, but I do wish I had a serger  for the seam finishes inside.  Of course I could have done zigzags or a hong kong finish, but oh well.
 I'm happy with the outcome, inside not withstanding, and this is already a workhorse in my closet.
Next time, another dress from the same pattern, using rayon batik!

8 comments:

  1. Aww, Baby P in the days of the Grumpy Trump hair! So cute, and the dress is cute too! I had to laugh because I have that exact same dress in my closet, but it's vintage 1999. Good to know its so out, it's back in again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. That pic kills me! I guess you were old enough to wear the trend the first time around, while I was far too young. Maybe not...

      Delete
  2. Super cute, I have this, I HAVE to make this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute, and looks comfy as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)