Wednesday, March 2, 2016

StyeArc Elle Pants (and some other stuff)

This is kind of a 3-for sewing post.  There are three recently sewn garments, but only one of them is from a pattern, so I'm putting them all here.

These pants are StyleArc's Elle Pant, with many thanks to my local sewing friend, Myra, for enabling me to finally try the company.  She seems to wear pants made from this pattern often, and they always look great!

My pants fabric is a stretchy woven with a fuzzy texture, like velveteen.  I bought the fabric at Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota and purchased another fabric at the same time for a second pair of these pants.  I made this pair first since the fabric was less expensive.  That's my version of a muslin.  Ha!
The vest is also a fabric from Pennie Fabrics.  It is such a fun, unique wool fabric that I had to have some.  I was originally planning a sleeveless top to wear over a long-sleeved tee, but in the end, I decided to try a waterfall cardigan-style vest.  It is "self drafted," but really, it's just a big rectangle with holes cut for arms and hemmed all the way around and at the armholes.  Looking at these photos, I'm going to take another look at the hems and trim any bits sticking out and give it a good pressing.  The edges look sloppy to me here.
Back to the pants - I do have an issue with horizontal lines forming around the legs while wearing.  Does this mean they are a little too snug?  Does anyone know?  I'm not sure whether to cut my next pair a half inch larger at the outseam to try and combat that.  I don't want to give up the close fit, though.  These are supposed to be skinny pants, like woven leggings.  I guess if I do cut them a bit larger, I can always take out the extra if I want.


 The top is made from a very stretchy ribbed knit  from Fabric.com that I purchased specifically with this outfit in mind.  Since it was so stretchy, I didn't want to use a regular pattern but instead traced a similar purchased tee shirt in my closet.  It worked out fine.
 For the hems, I just zig-zagged over the raw edges.
 I wanted to play with the ribs at the neckline and so I used the cross-grain.  Um, don't do that.  I should have known better.  It doesn't have enough stretch this way.  It barely fits over my head!
So overall, a successful winter outfit... just in time for spring to arrive here in Florida.   :-)

3 comments:

  1. These all look great. You must be happy with those pants! I think everybody has horizontal pull lines on skinny pants...just google and you will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! It's funny how I'm so critical of the fit of things I make whereas if I had bought these, I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

      Delete
  2. Love the outfit! I agree with Katherine on the horizontal lines!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)