Saturday, March 19, 2016

McCalls 7162 Laura Ashley Peplum Top

Well, this is not the success of my last cotton top, and I think it's my fault.

The pattern is McCalls 7162, a Laura Ashley design.  This peplum-style top was very "in" a couple of years ago, which explains why I am just jumping on board now.  The fabric is a beautiful cotton shirting from Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota, which I snapped up with no pattern in mind.  I think I should have just went with a button-down shirt!  (or another Vogue 1440.  That would have been beautiful!)

I was afraid this pattern would be really unflattering on my fairly rectangular body, but it's not as bad as I feared.  I think the reason I am not loving it is all the wrinkling due to the lightweight fabric, and maybe it is a little too long-waisted for me.  It looks like if the peplum started a half inch higher, that might take care of the wrinkling below the bust, but I think that would be an even less-flattering proportion.
 And the back is a sea of wrinkles.  I think I should have interfaced the back at the zipper with something very lightweight.  That would have taken care of most of it.  Again, though, I think this fabric is just too lightweight for this fairly structured top.  Ugh, again with the sunburned arms.

 And here is where we see that yes, this style is not my best.  It just doesn't feel very flattering to wear.  I tried it with slim-leg pants and wide-leg pants, and I think I like it with this skirt the best (I took photos of the other options, but I realized later that I didn't have a memory card in my camera - ugh! and I wasn't retaking all of them at that point).
So what say you?  Is it as bad as I fear?  Am I over-reacting to a couple wrinkles?  I think I'll wear this outfit to church tomorrow and see.  Wearing the cardigan covers all the back wrinkles, so that's something.  :-)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I think it's really pretty and flattering on you. It does appear to be a bit too long in the waist. Would it be possible to take of about 1/2 inch of the bodice above the peplum?

    It's perfect with that skirt, but would be really cute with some slim white or black capris.

    I'm off to check out that pattern for myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm considering taking it apart and shortening the bodice. We'll see...

      Delete
  2. It's pretty. But I agree with Sandy that most of what is bothering you will go away if you remove the peplum and take an inch off the top part. That way you'll love this every time you put it on instead of focusing on the wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outfit and think it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, Jenny, you look adorable in it. Don't over-criticize, if I may be so bold as to give unsolicited advice. The color is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Molly! I do really love the fabric and hate to just let it go.

      Delete
  5. I think it looks fine, but taking a little length off above the peplum would fine-tune the fit. I love the color, and adore the skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cut away shoulder looks great on you - you should definitely experiment more with that line (I'm picturing the Annie dress by Tessuti).

    Taking some length off the bodice above the waist would help, but I'm just not wild about those ruffles. You have a great long lean athletic figure - flaunt it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do like the lines of the shoulder. It's not a cut I am usually drawn to due to bra-wearing challenges, but it is cute!

      Delete
  7. I agree with the others, just a little off the bodice would make this look better. I have been thinking of this for a while lately, that when we take photos standing and static it doesn't reflect how the garment feels on and how it is when we move. Only sewers may notice so if you feel good in it just wear it. I think it looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I'm sure that out in the world, no one but me would give the wrinkles a thought!

      Delete
  8. Jenny time off I agree with everyone here… You look adorable in this top and the style of cut away shoulders is one of my favorite styles and is very complementary on you! Yes, taking a little length off of the bodice will definitely help the wrinkles! I know you gave me this pattern, Thank You! I haven't made the top yet but definitely plan to for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, sorry about the "auto correct" mistake above! It should have read "Jenny, I agree…"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)