A lot of times, I'll have a pattern I want to make, and I'll find a good fabric shopping or in my stash to make it with, and that's that. Sometimes, though, I'll have a vision in my head of what I want to make - usually just trying to recreate something I've seen - and then I have to find the right fabric AND the right pattern. These can be kind of hit or miss with whether my results approximate the look I was going for.
This one, though, is a 100% success!
I am sooooo happy with this dress. I want to wear it every day. It hits that sweet spot of dressiness and weather flexibility that I can wear it with boots and sweater now:
and I can wear it with a necklace and sandals when summer arrives... you know, next month. I can wear it to church with some heels or running errands with flats. It can go anywhere!
I wanted something easy wear, but not shapeless. I originally thought of McCalls 6886, a very popular basic t-shirt dress pattern, but I wanted to add bust darts. Then I remembered this pink dress, made from Simplicity 1609, that I made last summer, and how it fit perfectly. And then I thought, how awesome would it be to pop some pockets in those diagonal seams?? So, I tried on the pink dress to check if the seam placement was good for pockets (it is) and went for it!
I didn't want a sleeveless dress, though, so I meshed together the two patterns to use the sleeves, and armscyes from the McCalls pattern with the neckline and rest of the dress from the Simplicity pattern. I like how the back darts add some shape to the back that you won't get in a plain t-shirt dress. There are also little darts at the beck neck that you can see in the pic below. They make sure that the neckline doesn't gape. Love them!
I was careful to match stripes wherever possible. My magic method for this is... lots of pins. Pin at every stripe.
this RPL Ottoman stripe from Gorgeous Fabrics.