Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Spring 2015 Vogue Pattern Picks

The new Vogue Patterns are up, which is always a fun day! 

I didn't find much in the designer section that I love, but Kay Unger never disappoints.  1432 is a classic but interesting sheath.
I've been making so many full-skirted dresses lately that a nice summer sheath would be nice.  I think it would be great in a linen/cotton blend in a fabulous color.  If you're more adventurous than me, the options for combining fabrics in the bodice are endless.  I think I'll stick to a solid color, though.  All the strips around the bodice would be a challenge well worth the effort.


I am happy to see some casual separates in the designer section, too.  1440 by Donna Karan is fun.  Definitely the top and leggings, but I'm not sure if I'd get around to the jacket.  It's just not as practical for my climate.  Click over to the site and check out the back of the shirt.  It has some neat details.


1439 by Anne Klein looks like a great pair of pants.  The description says  "Semi-fitted, tapered pants (below waist) have waistband, bias binding, carriers, right side front pocket, welt and zipper, fly front zipper, and back welt pockets."  No "faux welt pockets" or "mock fly front."  I will definitely try this pattern for the pants!


1436, also by Anne Klein, might be my favorite pattern.  Another great pair of pants (a more casual style this time) with a fantastic blouse.  Go check out the cuffs on that blouse.  They have a tiny buckle and snaps.  Fun!


9082 is a Vintage Vogue offering, and I have to say, I am digging the version with the short-sleeved top over it.  However, I know from bitter experience that those pleats combined with pencil skirt are not my flattering friend, so something would have to change there.  I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to stitch them down into darts... or just add my favorite swishy skirt.  That might throw the proportions all off, though.

Go check out 9083.  It's the other Vingate Vogue, and while I have no occasion to make or wear it, it is really fun and pretty.



I really like the style of 9090, but it looks almost exactly like view B of Butterick 5282, which I have (and love!), so I'll pass.

So I have to say I am very pleased with the sportswear offerings this go around and can't wait to find and get started on a few of these.  Also, I saw the new Marfy catalog is out for the new year, so I'm hoping they will put up the designs on the website soon.

In other news, the baptism that was to be the debut of this skirt didn't happen.  My boys and I had a lovely visit with family, but the day of the baptism was the same day as freezing rain (ICE) in Philadelphia, so we stayed put that morning.  The skirt will need to wait for its debut until Easter.  Plenty of time to find or knit the perfect top before then!  :-)

Ok.  My boys are home today from school for a teacher work day, and I'm planning to do something I haven't done in a while (except for the above-mentioned skirt) - sew something for myself!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you--I found slim pickings in the designer section. I do love the yellow Kay Unger dress, but aside from that I don't think there's anything else that particularly caught my eye. I'm a little disappointed in Vogue! Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,
    I just found your blog and podcast from Stitchers Guild and am really enjoying both. I started with episode 1 and have gotten to # 4. I'll be caught up soon. I like to sew, quilt, knit, crochet and make cards. I work full time so don't have as much time as I'd like to craft. That's life. So glad to find you and thanks for podcasting about sewing. I know what you mean. There are a lot of knitting podcasts I enjoy, but not too many about garment sewing. Thanks for starting your podcast!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)