This is version 2 of McCalls 7429, actually in the full-length dress this time. The first time I made this pattern, I found the skirt portion too short and tight, so I modified it to be a tunic. This time, I lengthened the skirt pieces and cut the sides more A-line shaped to compensate.
I started out by cutting the sleeves long, figuring I could adjust them when the rest of the dress was finished. I decided that with the long sleeves, it was just too much white, but I did like the look of longer sleeves, so instead of cutting them short, I went with 3/4.
The fabric is a white cotton ponte from Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota, but white ponte isn't hard to find online.
I am not sure about the hem. The knot pulls the hem all different ways. Sometimes it looks like the outer wrap is too long, but a little adjustment fixes it. I am leaving it as is for now, but if I find that I am constantly having to adjust, I will just redo the hem.
When I envisioned this dress in white in my head, I thought it would be so classic and classy, and it is. I wanted it to hit at the bottom of my knee, which it does. It is form-fitting, but doesn't show a lot of skin. Then, the first time I wore it, I noticed THIS as I walked through a parking lot...
Yeah, there is nothing to be done. That wrap is at the just the right spot to show a LOT of leg when walking. :-)
xHere is a closeup of the knot detail.
I constructed almost all of this dress on my serger and coverstitch machines that I received for Christmas. It was awesome! It goes without saying that you don't need either type of machine to make this dress, though. In fact, I made my first red tunic version before I had either one.
I hope all the moms out there have a great Mothers' Day!