Saturday, January 13, 2018

Butterick 5794 Sweaterdress

Well, I just realized that this pattern is out of print, which is so sad!  This is a great pattern, and it's kind of unique, not the kind of thing you can easily engineer from another dress pattern.  It has a lot of great details.


The pattern is Butterick 5794.

I made basically the black version with pink's sleeves, but I raised the neckline a couple inches (for warmth!) and added long cuffs to the sleeves instead of finishing them with elastic.



I raised the neckline a bit, because I have a store-bought sweaterdress with a low cowl neckline, and I am always cold when I wear it.  I like the higher neckline for a dress that is supposed to be warm.



I am really happy with the sleeves and the gathers.  They are both such fun details that make this dress so interesting.  

The fabric is from the recently-closed Gorgeous Fabrics website.  It is a different color of the same fabric I used for my green Arenal sweater top.

The only thing I would do differently if I make this again is lower the waistline one inch.  It's in a strange place that's lower than empire-waist but higher than my natural waist.  

Let's end on one more shot of those pretty gathers!


3 comments:

  1. How cute! I love the gathers on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clothing patternsand fabrics look great. Love that blue dress on you. It fits you very well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great sweaterdress. I love the color. You are very creative with pattern making!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)