Sunday, November 1, 2015

McCalls 7186 Draped Jersey Dress

Hello!  I hope you had a great Halloween.  It's not really my favorite holiday, but my boys really enjoyed themselves, and we're one step closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas!

I want to share a recent creation, McCalls 7186, which is a great, flattering pattern.  (My hair is a mess in these photos.  I blame the wind.)
 There are basically two versions of this dress in the pattern - both have gathers at the shoulders and a wrap-style bodice.  One view also has gathers at the waist while the other does not.  I used the waist gathers and think they are super flattering.  There are also various sleeve options.  I went with long sleeves, because I have maybe one other long-sleeved dress in my closet, and I had enough fabric, so why not?

Here is the line drawing:

 My fabric is a lightweight rayon knit from Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota.  I really like the not-quite-animal print.  It's a little more wild than I am usually drawn to, but I think the earth tones calm it down a bit.  I received many compliments on this dress today.
 I have one caution if you make this pattern.  This view with the waist gathers has two separate front pieces - one for the upper layer and one for the under layer.  When cutting out the fabric, you need to place one pattern piece print-side-up and the other print-side-down.  I'm not sure if this was some kind of mistake in printing or what, but I'm glad I thought through how the pieces would go together before blindly cutting or I would have had a one-shouldered dress.

One change I made to the pattern was to make the skirt roomier.  I knew this lightweight knit could get super va va voom with a form-fitting skirt, so mine is cut more A-line.  I also need to wear a slip under this dress to feel comfortable with the single layer of knit on the back.
 Close-up of the draping detail.  I needed to do a bit of adjusting of the drape at the side seam, but I knew that was likely and used long basting stitches on the side seams at first.
 Here you can see how the draped neckline becomes the back collar. I like this detail.
 I love this type of neckline.
I am really happy with this dress and think I will probably make another at some point.  It would also be a really cute top or tunic.  We'll see what fabric wants to be another version..

8 comments:

  1. Really lovely on you, what a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great on you! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I like your idea of making the skirt a bit more a-line. Jersey is clingy enough, and I'm a little worried that it will turn out fitting like a dress for the club instead of a work dress. Your version is a great match of pattern to fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dresses! The patterns for sewing looks like it would work with a soft woven too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, this dress looks FABULOUS on you! The fabric is REALLY, REALLY nice! I love those types of necklines too. I have another pattern that's similar I made a couple of times. You should really be proud of this dress, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)