Sunday, October 5, 2014

New Projects: Brooklyn Tweed Rook and McCalls 7026

I don't have a finished project to share, and I feel like it's been a parade of finished garments lately.

I unexpectedly started knitting a new sweater for myself this weekend.  You may remember I am working on a pink Plum Frost cardigan for myself already.  I am at the point where I need to add the other colors at the yoke, and I still haven't purchased them.  I found myself with some new yarn this weekend, so I just put aside the cardi and cast on the Rook pullover from Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People Volume 6 collection.  I have drooled over Brooklyn Tweed's patterns for years now, but this is the first one I have purchased.  So far, I am definitely not disappointed! :-)

So, about the surprise yarn... I had requested some turquoise yarn from my local knitting shop to make a sweater for my mom.  It's a yarn they carry, but they didn't have a color I liked in the quantity I needed.  I'm sure I could have ordered it online, but I like to support the shop when I can.  Anyway, a couple of weeks went by without any call or email from the store.  Yes, I could have popped by and asked about it, but this isn't the first time I've requested yarn from them and not received a followup, so I just let it go.

A week or two later, I purchased a different yarn for mom's gift at a different yarn shop, and I cast on for that sweater.  A week later (at least a month after I had placed the request), I got an email that my original yarn was in stock.  What!?!  Well, I couldn't leave her in the lurch with all this extra gorgeous yarn, so I perused my Ravelry pattern favorites, and I went on over and got enough skeins for my Rook.

So I have two sweaters in the works now - the one for Mom is my car knitting since it's just a lot of the same for a while, and I don't have to think about it.  I pull it out when I'm waiting for kids at activities or, (shhh don't tell the police) in bad traffic.  The one for me is by the TV.  It requires more attention to be paid to the cables, which are gorgeous, and the yoke shaping.

I also have a pair of socks on the needles for my dad.  The socks for Hubs are finished and are waiting for a trip through the wash, and I've also finished some accessories for another gift, so I guess I do have some finished things to share... I just need to photograph them artfully outside in our gorgeous Florida fall weather.

I also started sewing McCalls 7026 this weekend, because a new hoodie sounded like a good idea.  Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about it.  It has nothing to do with the pattern, though.  The fabric is a pale blue-gray color, and I have a navy zipper.  I tried to tie in the navy zipper with navy top-stitching, and I think this is where I went wrong.  It is just looking cheap to me.  Anyway, I shall share more about that soon.
Whew.  If you made it through all that, thank you for sticking with me!  I have a pretty busy week coming up (doing really fun things like singing "Let It Go" with 100 tweens), but I'm planning to put up a new podcast Wednesday.  If iTunes stats are to be believed, listeners are starting to listen in earnest, so a big Thank You to those who have downloaded my ramblings!

Have a fantastic Monday!

1 comment:

  1. How neat to have all those projects going! And no, I won't tell the police! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)