Monday, October 12, 2015

French Cancan Shawl

.This pattern is called French Cancan.  I love the simple body, the cozy dk yarn weight, the crescent shape (the easiest shawl shape to wear, in my opinion), and the fun perpendicular braided border. 

 The yarn is 2 skeins of Voolenvine Yarns' Smitten dk in the Dirty on Purpose color.  It has gotten harder to snag some of Kristen's yarn right at a shop update time.  I'm happy for her success, but I don't see much Voolenvine in my future because it's just hard to get.
 The pattern calls for a garter stitch body, but I really loved how this yarn looked in stockinette stitch, so I modified for a stockinette stitch body with a little garter border before beginning the knit-on braid edging.

 It's actually a little small to wear in a classic shawl style, and I'm not really a classic shawl style girl, so I wear it more like a scarf.

This is the best photo I got of the shape.  You can see that using stockinette stitch instead of garter stitch for the body made for some wonkiness in the middle at the top, but I don't mind since I wear it more like a scarf anyway.  I'd love to knit another one using all garter stitch and maybe 3 or 4 skeins instead of 2 for some serious coziness.
Here is my project on Ravelry.


3 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)