Monday, October 12, 2015

French Cancan Shawl

.This pattern is called French Cancan.  I love the simple body, the cozy dk yarn weight, the crescent shape (the easiest shawl shape to wear, in my opinion), and the fun perpendicular braided border. 

 The yarn is 2 skeins of Voolenvine Yarns' Smitten dk in the Dirty on Purpose color.  It has gotten harder to snag some of Kristen's yarn right at a shop update time.  I'm happy for her success, but I don't see much Voolenvine in my future because it's just hard to get.
 The pattern calls for a garter stitch body, but I really loved how this yarn looked in stockinette stitch, so I modified for a stockinette stitch body with a little garter border before beginning the knit-on braid edging.

 It's actually a little small to wear in a classic shawl style, and I'm not really a classic shawl style girl, so I wear it more like a scarf.

This is the best photo I got of the shape.  You can see that using stockinette stitch instead of garter stitch for the body made for some wonkiness in the middle at the top, but I don't mind since I wear it more like a scarf anyway.  I'd love to knit another one using all garter stitch and maybe 3 or 4 skeins instead of 2 for some serious coziness.
Here is my project on Ravelry.


3 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the intricacy along the edge and the awesome yarn you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)