Sunday, June 14, 2015

Simplicity 1355

Well, I didn't get around to recording a podcast this week, but there will definitely be one next Friday, probably with another interview with the two short people in my life.

For now, though, here is Simplicity 1355, my surprisingly comfortable and practical playsuit/romper.  I've heard these shorts jumpsuits called both playsuits and rompers.  I'm not sure if it's a geography thing, and each is equally infantile, so call it what you will.

The pleated detail at the shoulder straps is what drew me to the pattern. It's very similar to this dress.

The fabric is a mid-weight cotton with a touch of stretch.  I got it at Pennie Fabrics in Sarasota.  It looks like chambray but has more body.

 I tried wearing a few different belts from my closet, but the self-fabric belt is my favorite look.  This is the first time I've ever made thread loops.  Go figure.  The process is described well in the pattern.  They aren't difficult and were less time consuming than I feared.

 I used a contrasting quilting cotton from my stash for the facings and pocket bags.  I wasn't going to tack the center back together where they cross over, but the heavier fabric billowed out unattractively, so I sewed it shut.  I still think it could be really cute in a lightweight fabric.
The fit on this is perfect, right out of the envelope.  I am slightly taller than average (5'6") and was worried I'd get the dreaded wedgie look, but most of my height is in my legs, not my torso, so the fit is fine.  Without the belt, this is not an attractive look.  The thick fabric doesn't hug the body at all around the waist, but that makes it very comfortable to wear as long as the belt isn't tight.

I actually think I might like to make another in something lighter weight.  I think this would be so fun in a rayon batik like this.  I'm not sure how often I would actually wear it, though.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, that is super cute! I did not realize you were so tall, though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I meant 5'6" not 6'6". I fixed it. Lol

      Delete
  2. Very cute. I like the pleats at the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It is wonderful to know someone is reading. :-)